There is a large population of visually challenged children in Bhaarat (India). Audio Books are very useful in helping them learn various subjects.
Youth for Seva – Delhi Chapter has been recording Audio Books since Sep 2012. Based on feedback from blind hostels and schools, our understanding of the work is as follows:
- CBSE syllabus, IGNOU syllabus and state boards (in that order) – all need to be recorded
- Recording books in English is simpler due to existence of TTS (Text-to-Speech) software. The shortage is biggest in audio books in Indic languages. Hindi, Telugu and Bangla are where the largest needs exist.
- Younger children also want to listen to stories
- Children want to listen to books like life stories of inspiring personalities.
- Set up a core team that takes consistent care of Audio Book Recording even after the summer vacations.
- Set up separate teams for
- Content Creation (Recording Audio Books)
- Content Tagging as per subject, language, class / Cleaning for noise / Changing formats to a standard
- Distribution of content – by uploading files on internet (soundcloud, google drive etc.)
- Partnerships / coordination – with other NGOs doing similar work, with blind schools etc.
- Record 100 audio books in Hindi during the next 60 days
Ideal Team of Interns :
- 2 – 3 project coordinators / co-coordinators for each section (Content creation / Tagging / Distribution / Partnerships)
- 2 – 3 people to take care of file uploading / website
- 50 – 100 interns / volunteers for recording audio books – can be very well done from home.